Bazzeroo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MTV Europe awards - The winners

4 posters

Go down

MTV Europe awards - The winners Empty MTV Europe awards - The winners

Post by Baz Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:22 am

MTV Europe awards - The winners 5-60

And the winners are....

Most Addictive Track
Pink - So What

Headliner (live performance)
Tokio Hotel

Rock Out
30 Seconds to Mars

Best Album
Britney Spears - Blackout

New Act
Katy Perry

Best Video Star
30 Seconds To Mars

Best Act Ever
Rick Astley

Ultimate Urban
Kanye West

Artists' Choice
Lil' Wayne

Act of 2008
Britney Spears

Ultimate Legend
Sir Paul McCartney

Europe's Favourite Act
Emre Aydin (Turkey)

US stars have dominated the MTV Europe Music Awards in Liverpool, with Britney Spears and rock band 30 Seconds To Mars scooping two prizes each.

The only UK winners were former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney, who was named ultimate legend in his home town, and 1980s star Rick Astley.

Astley was named best act ever after an online campaign to orchestrate votes.

Hip-hop star Kanye West won best urban, Pink took best song for So What and Katy Perry picked up best newcomer.

The pop starlet also hosted the show in front of thousands of screaming fans at Liverpool's Echo Arena.

British acts Duffy, Leona Lewis Coldplay went home empty-handed, despite being nominated in three categories each.

Leona Lewis was named UK's favourite act, a preliminary prize that meant she went forward to contend the award for Europe's favourite act.

But she lost out to Turkey's Emre Ayd. The only other European winners were German teen rockers Tokio Hotel, who won the headliner award for best live act.

MTV staged a visually stunning show, with stand-out performances from The Killers, Pink, Take That and Kanye West, who helped whip up a fevered atmosphere.

The Ting Tings, Beyonce, Kid Rock and Duffy were among the other performers.

One fan, Phoebe Surtees-Smith, 23, picked out Beyonce and The Killers as the top performances, and said Katy Perry pulled it off as hostess.

"I love her, she's so sweet," she said. "I've got a sore throat because I screamed so much."

She added it was "fantastic" to have the event in Liverpool. "It makes a change doesn't it?" she said. "I feel like we've been owed it for so long. I loved it, it was brilliant."

Emma Rowland, also 23, said Pink and Kanye West were the highlights of an "amazing" night for the city.

"It was in Liverpool and you were in the same room as all them people you'd never get tickets to see in a million years because they sell out that quick," she said.

"It's the best ever. We're always looked at as horrible Liverpool."

Sir Paul was greeted by rapturous applause from his home crowd on being presented with the one-off lifetime achievement award by U2 frontman Bono.

"These MTV awards are great and glamorous occasions, but on behalf of all the artists in this room, I will tell you something," he said.

"I think we all suspect someday when all of us are gone and this great hall is no longer here, we sense, we fear our names will be forgotten.

"There is one person in this hall tonight whose songs we know will be here now and forever.

"There is one person in this hall tonight whose work is immortal.

"There is only one Paul McCartney."

After picking up his honour, Sir Paul said bashfully: "I don't know what to do after an introduction like that."

The star settled for thanking friends, family and "my mates Ringo, George and John".

"Many years ago, four little boys were born here in Liverpool and we went on to do quite well," he added.

"So thanks, as I say, to all my family, to all of you for coming along, everyone in Liverpool, everyone in Britain, everyone in America - for voting in Mr Obama. I love you!"

The show contained numerous references to Barack Obama, most notably when Kanye West and Estelle finished their hit American Boy with the US President-elect's face projected onto a giant screen behind them.

Jared Leto, from 30 Seconds to Mars, wearing an Obama T-shirt, also asked the crowd to stand in honour of the Democratic senator.

Amid cheers, he said: "Liverpool, lets hear it for Barack Obama."

Host Katy Perry remarked: "Maybe Europe will love us again now."

The US singer was a high-spirited presenter, and managed 12 costumes changes during the show.

She opened proceedings by straddling a gigantic cherry chapstick - a reference to the lyrics of her number one hit I Kissed A Girl.

The singer also picked up the best new act prize during the show.

Britney Spears won best act of 2008 and album of the year for Blackout.

But she did not turn up to the event, instead sending acceptance speeches by video.

Rick Astley was also absent from the event after beating acts like U2, Britney Spears and Green Day to the award for best act ever.

There was no video message and gossip blogger Perez Hilton collected the prize on his behalf.

Pink accepted the most addictive track award by paraphrasing a line from the winning song: "I guess I should thank my husband, but I don't know where he went."

30 Seconds To Mars, who co-hosted the ceremony, took home best rock act and best video star.

Former Atomic Kitten singer Kerry Katona, who presented the latter award, was loudly booed as she took to the stage.

Kanye West & Estelle

Original article here
Baz
Baz
Admin

Number of posts : 4352
MTV Europe awards - The winners Left_bar_bleue9 / 1009 / 100MTV Europe awards - The winners Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-21

https://bazzeroo.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

MTV Europe awards - The winners Empty Re: MTV Europe awards - The winners

Post by jackie 46 Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:38 am

Best Act Ever
Rick Astley confused
jackie 46
jackie 46

Number of posts : 4999
MTV Europe awards - The winners Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100MTV Europe awards - The winners Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:11 pm

It was due to all that Rick rolling.
Baz
Baz
Admin

MTV Europe awards - The winners Left_bar_bleue9 / 1009 / 100MTV Europe awards - The winners Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jackie 46 Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:13 pm

Just saw it on the news tonight.
jackie 46
jackie 46

MTV Europe awards - The winners Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100MTV Europe awards - The winners Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:14 pm

You should have been on last night. I was doing a running commentary. Nobody was reading it though. Lol
Baz
Baz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jackie 46 Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:39 pm

Baz wrote:You should have been on last night. I was doing a running commentary. Nobody was reading it though. Lol

Laughing
jackie 46
jackie 46

Back to top Go down

Post by YePiF Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:08 pm

I would love to have an award called the "best act ever", great name, no nonsense and straight to the point Laughing
YePiF
YePiF

Number of posts : 281
MTV Europe awards - The winners Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100MTV Europe awards - The winners Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Godamnsneaky Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:24 pm

jackie 46 wrote:Best Act Ever
Rick Astley confused

You mean, "Sick Astley". Thats what we call him Neutral

If he's the greatest act ever then I feel sorry for the likes of Robbie Williams.

sunny
Godamnsneaky
Godamnsneaky

Number of posts : 40
MTV Europe awards - The winners Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100MTV Europe awards - The winners Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post by jackie 46 Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:35 am

Never gonna give you up never gonna let you down...................................
jackie 46
jackie 46

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down