Bazzeroo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Off to see Dr Robert on Saturday.

2 posters

Go down

Off to see Dr Robert on Saturday. Empty Off to see Dr Robert on Saturday.

Post by Dr43 Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:03 am

Him of Blow Monkeys fame.

Dr43

Number of posts : 127
Off to see Dr Robert on Saturday. Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Off to see Dr Robert on Saturday. Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Off to see Dr Robert on Saturday. Empty Re: Off to see Dr Robert on Saturday.

Post by Baz Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:17 am

Bloody hell. Is he still going?
Baz
Baz
Admin

Number of posts : 4352
Off to see Dr Robert on Saturday. Left_bar_bleue9 / 1009 / 100Off to see Dr Robert on Saturday. Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-21

https://bazzeroo.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr43 Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:25 am

Apparently he has been doing solo stuff all along. It was supposed to be The Blow Monkeys as they have a new album out but it is just going to be him now. It is at one of the local pubs I go too. Not a normal gig place.

Dr43

Off to see Dr Robert on Saturday. Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Off to see Dr Robert on Saturday. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr43 Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:20 am

For the youngsters out there the Blow monkeys were quite big in the 80's.

Some stuff.

Digging your scene.

Dr43

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:26 am

I thought it was going to be Digging your scene.......
Baz
Baz
Admin

Off to see Dr Robert on Saturday. Left_bar_bleue9 / 1009 / 100Off to see Dr Robert on Saturday. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr43 Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:39 am

Opps.

That is: It doesn't have to be that way.

Dr43

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:44 am

Rodney!
Baz
Baz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr43 Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:55 am

To be fair I posted both but it only put one up. Can you only have one youtube per post?

Dr43

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:04 am

No. Have you seen how many I put on in the album section? You have to keep editing and adding one at a time. Sometimes [youtube] [/youtube] works with the url address too.
Baz
Baz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr43 Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:06 am

Hmmmmm.

Dr43

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:12 am

How was it then?
Baz
Baz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr43 Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:32 am

It has been a while since I have been the the Donkey to see a band. In fact it was about a year ago to see the band who support tonight.

Northern Kind.

Northern Kind are a male knob twidler and female singer 2 piece. There is no denying the influences here. The 80's, more to the point Vince Clarke. (Depeche Mode, Yazoo, Erasure) This is pure pop that has been through a pop filter leaving us with condensed essence of pop, super heated. You get the picture. As with the last time they don't miss a note or a beat. The new songs blend seamlessly with the songs from the last album that have been melded in to a 20 min mega mix.

As I said last time, this band has a future, and it has both feet firmly planted in the past.

The Main act. Dr Robert.

This was a birthday present for my other half who has said she won't be happy if he does not play the two she knows. I don't really care, I was there for Northern Kind (don't tell here that).

As Dr Robert takes the small stage I am confused. Surely this is a printing error as it is Dr Fitzgerald from the TV show Cracker (Robbie Coltraine) who has taken the stage. Yes, Dr Robert has filled out and aged. But I have to remind myself I am watching a bloke that last had a hit in 1987 and is now 47.

Straight away he is joking with the crowd and he is at eased and relaxed. As he launches in to his first song the other half bounces with excitement. It is Digging your scene. His first hit and one of the ones she knows. He is doing an acoustic set and I have to say he is very good. Better than I expected, but will he keep my interest with stuff I don't know? In short, yes. Quite, loud, at peace with the world yet angry at parts. These are songs of his life, his loves and his losses.

It is about half way through that two couples behind me start making a bit of noise. "what is this shite?" "we paid a tenner for this?" It turns out they thought they were here to see a UB40 tribute band! They soon leave and Dr Fitzgerald carries on regardless.

As the set comes to a close we are owed the other song we know. Luckily Dr Fitz has been doing this long enough to give the crowd what they want and he finishes with It doesn't have to be that way. The other half is now satisfied.

Overall a very enjoyable night.

Dr43

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:37 am

The couple thought they were there to see a UB40 tribute band? How did they make that mistake? Lol
Baz
Baz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr43 Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:47 am

I don't know. I think the more important question should be why would you pay a tenner for a UB40 tribute band?

Dr43

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:47 am

True....
Baz
Baz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr43 Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:55 am

Unless they were doing a gig of early stuff I would not pay £10 for the real UB40.

Dr43

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:57 am

Never liked them myself.
Baz
Baz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down