Bazzeroo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brit Awards tip top rising star

2 posters

Go down

Brit Awards tip top rising star Empty Brit Awards tip top rising star

Post by Baz Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:48 am

Brit Awards tip top rising star 12-60

Quirky pop singer-songwriter Florence and the Machine has won the Brit Awards' Critics' Choice prize for the new act most likely to be big in 2009.

Londoner Florence Welch, aged 22, was picked by a panel of 50 newspaper and magazine critics and heads of music from major UK TV and radio stations.

Known for her effervescent stage shows, her debut single Kiss With a Fist was used in a Channel 4 TV trailer.

She has been signed by Island Records, home to Amy Winehouse, U2 and Mika.

The 22-year-old will be the second recipient of the award, voted for by a journalists and broadcasters from across the music industry. The award recognises emerging British talent and was given last year to Brixton-born soulstress Adele, who went on to sell 1.2m copies of her debut LP.

Florence is followed by electro-synth act Little Boots, real name Victoria Hesketh, and London indie-pop band White Lies in second and third place respectively. The award can only be given to a British act who has not released a debut album. Brits chairman Ged Doherty said: "The aim of introducing this award last year was to help boost the career of a new British artist by giving them a platform to reach a wider audience. Adele clearly fulfilled all our hopes and ambitions for this award. I hope Florence and the Machine goes on to enjoy similar success."

Celebrated for her original folk-pop style, Welch had a lot to say about her win. "Blimey, a Brit Award wowtheworldsgoneweird. Thank you so much to the critics." She went on, "I'm making my album at the moment, it's sort of sounding like a choir, a harp, some metal chains and a piano all put through a car crusher, then hit with wooden planks really hard. I will see you at the awards. I'll be the one trying to get off with Katy Perry and passed out next to Leona Lewis."

That's quite a promise. Welch will be performing at the Brits Nominations Launch at The Roundhouse on 20 January 2009, and will collect her award (and possibly pass out) at the actual ceremony on Earl's Court on 18 February 2009.

Original articles here and here.
Baz
Baz
Admin

Number of posts : 4352
Brit Awards tip top rising star Left_bar_bleue9 / 1009 / 100Brit Awards tip top rising star Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-21

https://bazzeroo.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Brit Awards tip top rising star Empty Re: Brit Awards tip top rising star

Post by Florence Hall Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:49 pm

I really liked their cover of this song

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=63vSQjVWipo
Florence Hall
Florence Hall

Number of posts : 31
Brit Awards tip top rising star Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Brit Awards tip top rising star Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-09-30

Back to top Go down