Bazzeroo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns

3 posters

Go down

Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns Empty Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns

Post by Baz Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:40 am

In the epic trinity of stadium indie, Snow Patrol are the ghost; lacking both the sheer pomposity to challenge the all-powerful Coldplay and the catchy confidence to take on the often crucified Keane, they wisp about in the shadows, pushing out occasional strokes of excellence to remind the world they exist.

A Hundred Million Suns is their rabble-rousing attempt to change that power structure – and they really have pulled out all the stops.

Decamping to the Berlin studios used by David Bowie and Iggy Pop in the late 70s and teaming up once more with the increasingly influential producer, Jacknife Lee, they have pushed every ounce of their energies into breaking free of their 'also-rans' tag and proving that they really can write an entire album of brilliance, rather than just the occasional stunner.

Inevitably, they have fallen short of such a goal – not through lack of trying but because they simply don’t have the invention or imagination to be truly great.

Most surprisingly, given the saving graces of Run, Chasing Cars, Chocolate and It's Beginning To Get To Me on their previous two albums, there are no truly stand-out tunes - the album simply melts into one long agreeable but unremarkable mass.

That fact isn't helped by the lack of variety in their tunes. A Hundred Million Suns can be broken squarely into two camps – the moody indie brooders and the up-tempo gut-wrenchers.

What's most annoying is that there are moments that could have been so much more fulfilling. The break of Crack The Shutters, for example, should have opened up an epic, rather than the drudge that follows it and the lo-fi minimalism of The Golden Floor could have revealed a Jose Gonzalez-like string to their bow, instead of the underwritten disappointment it actually gives.

A Hundred Million Suns is so close to being brilliant, it ends up being more grating than if it had been awful. A little more adventure, a little more heroism and Snow Patrol could have produced something stunning; as it is, this is stadium indie revealed through a glass darkly, a solid but ultimately unsatisfying experience.

Tracklist

1. If There's a Rocket Tie Me to It
2. Crack the Shutters

3. Take Back the City
4. Lifeboats

5. The Golden Floor
6. Please Just Take These Photos From My Hands

7. Set Down Your Glass

8. The Planets Bend Between Us
9. Engines
10. Disaster Button

11. The Lightning Strike: What If This Storm Ends? / The Sunlight Through the Flags / Daybreak

Original article here
Baz
Baz
Admin

Number of posts : 4352
Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns Left_bar_bleue9 / 1009 / 100Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-21

https://bazzeroo.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns Empty Re: Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns

Post by YePiF Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:13 am

Baz wrote:[center]

In the epic trinity of stadium indie, Snow Patrol are the ghost; lacking both the sheer pomposity to challenge the all-powerful Coldplay and the catchy confidence to take on the often crucified Keane, they wisp about in the shadows, pushing out occasional strokes of excellence to remind the world they exist.

I don't normally complain about reviews but the phase "stadium indie" has to be one of the most contradition statements I have heard in my life. Rolling Eyes Plus the fact that Snow Patrol are considered in fancy words here as "underrated" is not far behind that No

I'll be listening later but im not going to finish reading the review after that
YePiF
YePiF

Number of posts : 281
Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns Empty Re: Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns

Post by Dave Mercury Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:07 am

Been listening to this album quite a bit, still can't make up my mind whether its very good or just average.
Dave Mercury
Dave Mercury

Number of posts : 2858
Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-27

http://www.ashfieldangling@piczo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:58 am

I bought it on Saturday and I love it!
Baz
Baz
Admin

Number of posts : 4352
Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns Left_bar_bleue9 / 1009 / 100Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-21

https://bazzeroo.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down