Bazzeroo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles

3 posters

Go down

Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles Empty Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles

Post by Baz Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:25 am

Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles 5-19

Bloc Party are indifferent to the singles chart and say scoring a hit is no longer important to them.

The band physically released their third album Intimacy on Monday following its rush release in download format on 21 August.

The band say they didn't think of the release as "a business decision", and weren't worried about chart positions.

In fact, bassist Gordon Moakes revealed they may stop putting out physical singles in the future.

Intimacy was not eligible for the Top 40 charts last month, due to its download-only release.

While this month might see it enter the top 10, Moakes told 6 Music that it's not really a priority.

He said: "I don't think our digital release was eligible so this is our only shot at the charts - but the kind of band we are, isn't one you were going to see on Top Of The Pops really.

"We've never entirely played the game. Maybe we'll find out that it's a great success, but maybe we'll find out that people just aren't buying CDs anymore."

Last October, Radiohead put out their latest album, In Rainbows, with a "pay what you like" price plan. However, it still went to number one after its physical release in January.

Asked whether Bloc Party were hoping for a similar impact, Moakes said: "I don't know. We're waiting to find out really.

"I think none of us were sufficiently concerned about it as a business decision to not do it - to say, 'if you put it down as a download, x amount of people might not buy it'."

Lissack added that they might do away with physical singles altogether.

"Our record company's been behind our ideas for this record and future singles," Moakes continued. "We're talking now about not doing anymore physical formats for singles meaning we won't have any more eligible singles after Talons.

"I think the days are gone where you can really make a splash in the charts, being a band like us, and have that sort of thing make a difference to your reputation and your sales.

"Music was never a competition, whoever made it a competition? One decision might be to not get involved in that and put out non-eligible things on purpose."

However, their view on the physical release of albums has not changed.

"We have a young fan base so I don't know how doing it the way we did will affect us, but it's still an event to put out a record.

"We're still vinyl fans. With the last record we put out a picture disc. All this extra stuff that's dying out, we're still into as a band."

Original article here
Baz
Baz
Admin

Number of posts : 4352
Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles Left_bar_bleue9 / 1009 / 100Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-21

https://bazzeroo.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles Empty Re: Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles

Post by jackie 46 Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:34 am

CD's are going out anyway.
jackie 46
jackie 46

Number of posts : 4999
Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles Empty Re: Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles

Post by YePiF Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:53 pm

I have to disagree. The biggest fall in cd sales was back in 2007. This year they have recovered slightly. I expect they will stay in the shadow of downloads though.
YePiF
YePiF

Number of posts : 281
Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:06 am

Downloads have taken over due to convenience. You can download wherever and whenever you want. It's just so easy now.
Baz
Baz
Admin

Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles Left_bar_bleue9 / 1009 / 100Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jackie 46 Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:07 am

Baz wrote:Downloads have taken over due to convenience. You can download wherever and whenever you want. It's just so easy now.

And free Very Happy
jackie 46
jackie 46

Number of posts : 4999
Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:10 am

jackie 46 wrote:
And free Very Happy

Free? From where?
Baz
Baz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by YePiF Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:07 am

Baz wrote:Downloads have taken over due to convenience. You can download wherever and whenever you want. It's just so easy now.

I agree. Its just the so called "disappearance of CD's altogether" that I don't believe will happen.
YePiF
YePiF

Number of posts : 281
Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100Bloc Party not fussed by charts and consider dropping CD singles Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:09 am

Oh they will not disappear altogether. Some people would still rather buy a physical format and I cannot see anything such as USB sticks taking over at the moment.
Baz
Baz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down